Thank you for your interest in volunteering with House of Friendship.
Volunteers are vital to House of Friendship’s mission of service to those in need. In fact, over 1,000 volunteers contribute almost 50,000 hours of volunteer time annually.
Approximately 400 volunteers contribute their time and talents throughout the year to assist with the delivery of programs and daily services and the running of special events. During the Holidays in December, another 600+ people volunteer at Christmas Hampers and the Turkey Trucks to share the gift of food.
At other times, volunteers support special projects, ranging from painting fences to leading special fundraising campaigns. A volunteer Board of Directors and group of Board Members govern House of Friendship.
Volunteers join program participants, staff and community members sit at House of Friendship’s table to build a healthy community where all can belong and thrive.
Where are volunteers needed?
- Special Projects
House of Friendship Inclusion and Diversity
Compassion, inclusion, justice and dignity are core values at House of Friendship and integral to our mission of service to those in need. We extend the hand of friendship to ALL; we believe EVERYONE has a seat at the table; we value a society where ALL have a voice; and we honour the self-respect of each and EVERY person. Therefore, we recognize and celebrate diversity, those characteristics that make individuals unique such as (but not limited to) national origin, language, age, race, colour, family structure, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic (income) status and gender identity.
Current Volunteer Opportunities (postings)
Please Note: We post ALL of our volunteer opportunities on this web page. Therefore, if you do not see any listings, we do not have any positions available at this time. Be sure to check this page often as new volunteer opportunities can be posted at any time.
If you would like to be added to our Volunteer Pool, and learn more about the wide range of volunteer opportunities that exist:
- please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone 519-742-8327 x 335
- download, complete and return a volunteer application form (below)
Program Volunteers – walking with the people we serve
Learn more about each program to see how you can volunteer to support people living on low income and in need.
- volunteers assist with After School, pre-teen and youth programs plus the Food Distribution program. Contact 519-571-7953 or email@example.com
- volunteers assist with Food Distribution Day on Thursdays from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Volunteers help set up tables, bag fresh food items and prepare food hampers for local families. Contact 519 570-3610 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact 519-742-8327 or email@example.com to inquire about current volunteer opportunities
- volunteers assist with After School Programs and Summer programs. Contact 519-883-1972 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- volunteer drivers take campers to and/or from local summer camps. Contact 519-742-8327 or email@example.com
- sorting and packing food items; cleaning and organizing; delivering food hampers; assisting with special projects. Contact 519-742-0662 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Setting up the Christmas Hampers warehouse; sorting and packing food items; delivering food hampers; Turkey Trucks: handing out turkeys. Contact email@example.com or phone 519-742-8327 x 335
- Facilitating recreation room activities; assisting kitchen staff with meal preparation; cleaning
- volunteer driver picks up donated food items from Sunnyside Home and delivers them to the Charles Street Men’s Hostel
Contact 519-742-8327 x 334 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative/office Volunteers – keeping our house in order
Occasionally, House of Friendship’s main office or a program will need administrative support. Duties could include answering the telephone, filing, greeting visitors, assembling mailings, etc. Please stay tuned to this page for any opportunities.
Event Volunteers – raising awareness and support
House of Friendship hosts several events throughout the year that require volunteer support for planning, preparations and during the event. For more information, contact Dawn at 519-742-8327 x 119 or email@example.com
Project Volunteers – there when needed
Occasionally, there are opportunities to volunteer with special projects. Please stay tuned to this page for any opportunities.
Leadership Volunteers – Board Members and Board of Directors
House of Friendship is led by a 10-person Board of Directors, which draws Directors from a broader pool of over 40 ‘Board Member’ volunteers, who serve as ambassadors to the community and participate on Board/staff committees. Board nominations are accepted in advance of the Annual Meeting in June, at which time the Board of Directors is elected.
To discuss leadership volunteer opportunities, contact John Neufeld, Executive Director, at 519-742-8327 x 123 or JohnN@houseoffriendship.org
Volunteers’ Rights & Responsibilities
Volunteers can expect to:
- receive an orientation to House of Friendship’s philosophy and programs
- be placed in a position suitable to your interests and abilities
- receive supervision and support
- be treated with dignity and respect
- learn new skills
- make suggestions and be heard
- receive thanks and recognition for service
- gain satisfaction from helping others
Volunteers are asked to:
- adhere to the vision, mission and values of House of Friendship
- abide by all health and safety guidelines
- treat program participants and all personnel with dignity and respect
- treat personal information about program participants and co-workers with strict confidentiality
- be punctual and to notify supervisors when absent
House of Friendship is a member agency of the Volunteer Action Centre