Volunteers are vital to House of Friendship’s mission of service to those in need. In fact, more than 1,000 volunteers contribute almost 50,000 hours of volunteer time annually.
House of Friendship Inclusion and Diversity
Compassion, inclusion, justice and dignity are core values at House of Friendship and integral to our mission of service to those in need. We extend the hand of friendship to all; we believe everyone has a seat at the table; we value a society where all have a voice; and we honour the self-respect of each and every person. Therefore, we recognize and celebrate diversity, those characteristics that make individuals unique such as (but not limited to) national origin, language, age, race, colour, family structure, disability, gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic (income) status and gender identity.
Current Volunteer Opportunities (postings)
Every year House of Friendship delivers food hampers to those in need over the holiday. To apply for a Christmas Hamper, please refer to www.christmashampers.ca. Hamper applications open Nov. 6 and close Dec. 1.
Drivers are needed during the Christmas Hamper program to deliver food hampers. Drivers deliver hampers December 11-19th including Saturday December 16th. Drivers generally pick up hampers at our warehouse at 10 a.m., around 1 or slightly before 5 p.m. This year we ask that you sign up for shifts online via our new volunteer software. Valid license and insurance required. Drivers must be over the age of 18.
Turkey Truck Volunteers are also a valuable part of Christmas Hampers. The Turkey Truck volunteer role begins Dec. 14 and ends Dec. 20. This role runs over the Dec. 16 and Dec. 17 weekend as well. Volunteers work in groups of four and sign up for two hour shifts. They distribute the turkey. Monday to Friday shifts begin at 9 and end at 5 p.m. Weekend shifts begin at 1 and end at 5 p.m. Again, new this year we ask that you sign up for shifts via our new software. Here is the link for the Kitchener Turkey Truck and here is the link for the Waterloo Turkey Truck. The Waterloo site is Waterloo City Hall. The Kitchener site is yet to be determined. We hope it will be close to downtown Kitchener.
Please Note: We post our current and most urgent volunteer opportunities on this web page. Be sure to check this page often as new volunteer opportunities can be posted at any time.
If you would like to be added to our Volunteer Pool, and learn more about the wide range of volunteer opportunities that exist:
- please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone 519-742-8327 x 136
- download, complete and return a volunteer application form (below)
- for a fillable application form that you can email back to us, please contact email@example.com
Typical Volunteer Roles
Learn more about each program to see how you can volunteer to support people living on low income and in need.
- volunteers can choose to work in specific program areas that align with their personal interests.
- volunteers assist with After School, pre-teen and youth programs plus the Food Distribution program. Contact 519-571-7953 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- volunteers assist with Food Distribution Day on Thursdays from 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Volunteers help set up tables, bag fresh food items and prepare food hampers for local families. Contact 519 570-3610 or email@example.com
- Contact 519-742-8327 or firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about current volunteer opportunities
- a Thursday Relief Volunteer is needed. Please email your interest and a completed application form by July 24, 2017.
- volunteers assist with After School Programs and Summer programs. Contact 519-883-1972 or email@example.com
- volunteer drivers take campers to and/or from local summer camps. Contact 519-742-8327 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- sorting and packing food items; cleaning and organizing; delivering food hampers; assisting with special projects. Contact 519-742-0662 or email@example.com
- Setting up the Christmas Hampers warehouse; sorting and packing food items; delivering food hampers; Turkey Trucks: handing out turkeys. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-742-8327 x 335
Administrative/office Volunteers – keeping our house in order
Occasionally, House of Friendship’s main office or a program will need administrative support. Duties could include answering the telephone, filing, greeting visitors, assembling mailings, etc. Please stay tuned to this page for any opportunities.
Event Volunteers – raising awareness and support
House of Friendship hosts several events throughout the year that require volunteer support for planning, preparations and during the event. For more information, contact Dawn at 519-742-8327 x 119 or email@example.com
Leadership Volunteers – Board Members and Board of Directors
House of Friendship is led by a 10-person Board of Directors, which draws Directors from a broader pool of over 40 ‘Board Member’ volunteers, who serve as ambassadors to the community and participate on Board/staff committees.more
Board nominations are accepted in advance of the Annual Meeting in June, at which time the Board of Directors is elected.
To discuss leadership volunteer opportunities, contact John Neufeld, Executive Director, at 519-742-8327 x 123 or JohnN@houseoffriendship.org